Sunday 27 July 2008

Postcards

Thank you to all of you who have kindly supported our orangutan conservation work by sending campaign postcards to, amongst others, the Indonesian Embassy in Washington DC, USA.

Postcards? Not sure what I am talking about? Please click on http://www.naturealert.org/ and see if you can also help.

Recently I had a reply from the Embassy (for some strange reason it took three months to reach me, but that's the Indonesian government for you) with a lot of complete rubbish about the efforts to save orangutans. To make matters worse they say that Terry Irwin (wife of the late TV presenter Steve Irwin) applaudes their efforts. As a frequent visitor to Borneo and in daily contact with people there, I don't know a single thing central government is doing to help save orangutans. I can tell you they continue to sell off rainforest's inhabited by orangutans.

I have written to Terry and asked for some clarification that I can publish on this Blog. I will let you know as soon as I hear from her.

Thanks again to all of you who are helping. You are part of the solution, whilst those who don't help - are part of the problem. Reading Blogs etc won't help save orangutans - only actions will.....and I am pleased to say I know most of you do walk your talk and for this Hardi and I will be forever grateful.

I have been told the President of Indonesia is aware of our campaign and the postcards and he is asking questions of the Ministry of Forestry.