- Employer: The Borneo Orangutan Survival Foundation (BOS)
- Posted: 07 Apr 2009
- Reference: 002BOS
- Location: London or Copenhagen
- Sector: Animal
- Contract: Permanent
- Position: Executive Director
- Salary: Competitive
The Borneo Orangutan Survival Foundation (BOS) is a not-for-profit foundation supported by sister organisations around the world. BOS works under an official agreement with the Indonesian Ministry of Forestry for the conservation of orangutans and their ecosystem by involving and educating the local people.
BOS is presently running the world's largest primate conservation project and employs more than 200 permanent staff. BOS' interests cover biodiversity issues (flora and fauna), forest rehabilitation, forest inventory and monitoring, agro-forestry (to improve local peoples' welfare and education), as well as working with orangutans and other protected wildlife.
Borneo Orangutan Survival Foundation (Global) is the fundraising arm of the organisation. It supports the projects carried out and managed by BOS Foundation in Indonesia. It aims to raise a regular annual income of €6.5 million to run the projects and helps raise additional money (we need at least €10million in the next two years) to buy and conserve rainforest into which we can re-release the orangutans currently in our care.
- Build and manage a sustainable regular source of income to ensure the steam of funding required to fund our programme.
- Develop a database of regular givers and ensure they receive proper care and feedback.
- Manage a balanced portfolio of income sources to ensure we are not too dependent on one source for our income.
- Manage the website and ensure it is set to create maximum income for the organisation.
- Test new approaches to donor recruitment and rollout successful methods across markets.
- To develop and ensure the proper running of our orangutan adoption program.
- To create develop and run an effective virtual gifts fundraising programme.
- To manage the relationship with our donors and create an upgrade programme which ensures their continued and increased commitment of our donors.
- Manage a small major gifts programme run by on staff member
- Train up staff both in Europe and in Indonesia to increase their fundraising skill.
- Work with BOS Foundation Indonesia to build a closer more profitable relationship.
- Produce the annual plan and budget for approval by the board.
- Liaise with other BOS entities, other orangutan organisations and other interested organisations in the best interest of the orangutan.
- Develop basic standards of practice, codes of conduct and personnel policies for the organisation.
- Work to produce effective appropriate good governance within the organisation. Support the Board in its work to set strategic direction for the organisation.
- Ensure proper transparency within the organisation.
- Act as a spokesperson for the organisation as required.
- A Fundraising Manager with a at least 5 years experience in fundraising and at least of 3 years experience of managing multiple staff.
- Proven Leadership skills.
- Strategic Planning experience preferably in a leadership role.
- Experience of working with and managing a board
- Experience of managing and developing a fundraising supporter database.
- Experience of using the web to recruit and provide feedback to supporters.
- Experience of running monthly giving fundraising programmes.
- Experience of working in a multicultural, multi-language International NGO.
- Fluent written and spoken English. Other languages an advantage.
- Experience of managing staff at a distance. including the ability to integrate distant working staff into the organisation
- Experience of running and marketing a “virtual gifts” programme.
- Viral marketing experience
- Experience is asking for large leadership gifts of fundraising from, and managing ongoing relationships with foundations and other interested NGOs.
- Excellent Communication skills
- Experience working on animal welfare or environmental issues in the developing world
To apply for the post please send in English a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post with your CV/resume (no photos) in strict confidence by email only to: email@example.com
Please ensure that they are sent as Word documents with the titles “
Deadline for application: 27 April 2009
For more information about BOS visit: www.savetheorangutan.org